My husband and I recently celebrated a milestone wedding anniversary. The many many cards we received from recent friends or friends of long ago were the highlight of our day. Even though the verse may have been written by Hallmark’s writers, or American greeting for that matter, it was the though behind the card and the personal message that was such a blessing. That one would take the time to send a card is a special tribute to you as a person.
In coming up with occasions to send greeting cards, the task has not been an easy one. For example, as I am not one of those that is good at sending them, writing this blog leaves me with feelings of guilt. Yes, that’s why it hasn’t been easy. Nevertheless, I’ll trudge on and speak to myself as I write.
- Mother’s Day is always a great time to stop and honor our mother. I understand many of us have lost our Mother to the next world, however I do find it is a great gesture to send one to Daughters and daughter-in-laws who have brought extra joy into our life by giving us those “grand” children.
- The same goes for Father’s Day. Sons love to receive father’s day cards as well.
- I’ve belonged to “Secret Pal” clubs on several occasions. My weight loss club, as well as the women’s group at church. Finding a secret pal card is not always easy; however there are programs now that allow us to make our own on the computer.
- Receiving a card saying “I (we) missed you” this past Sunday, or at our last meeting lets the recipient know they matter.
- I noticed one the other day that read, “Across the miles”. The verse inside made you want to send one to a soldier or someone who had moved away.
- Then there is Merry Christmas which is increasingly harder to find for those of us to still wish to say the words Merry Christmas. And for our Jewish friends Happy Hanukkah.
- Sympathy cards
- On the Purchase of your new home.
- Thank you cards.
- Congratulation cards are wonderful for many occasions;
- For an engagement
- For a promotion
- For graduation
- For getting a book published
- For a new baby
- For an adoption
- For achieving a goal
- To a student for making honor roll
- Or for making a 4.0
- The ideas are endless
As smart as our readers are I am sure you will come up with more than these. For if at any time in this life, someone has needed a card not on the market as yet, then someone has supplied that need and was happy to do so.
One note from this writer is “keep those cards and letters coming folks.”