Whether you are wondering what to expect from people as house warming gifts or find yourself invited to a house warming party for a friend or family member it’s always great to get good gift ideas. Moving into a new home is a really exciting time and the right gift can really make the experience even more memorable. We wanted to put together some practical and great house warming gift ideas for you, so without further ado here is our top 10 list:
- Herb gardens/ bonsai trees – Plants in general make great house warming gifts as they serve as great reminders for years to come as long as the person you are giving them to doesn’t have two left thumbs.
- Local maps – Maps are extremely useful, especially if the recipient is new to the neighborhood. You might also consider whether or not a GPS update is the more appropriate gift given so many people have a GPS in the their car or on their mobile phone.
- Glassware – glassware can be in the form of mugs, shot glass, or any other glasses. People tend to also collect glassware/stemware for extended periods of time. For instance, I collect shot glasses from all over the World (while that hobby is not for everyone, they are easy to pickup and find something that represents the local community well).
- Customized doormats – You might want to customize a doormat with something as simple as Welcome to the Smiths’s Home (insert the recipient’s last name of course). There are lots of variations and they are almost always well received. It could be from a local elementary, junior high, high school, college, or pro sports team, here’s your chance to be creative.
- Gift basket – On the more traditional side you could go for a fruit gift basket, cookie gift basket, or any other variety of gift baskets available online or at your local grocery store or flower shop.
- Scented candles – A nice scented candle can really add to the atmosphere of a home and if you have an idea as to the scents that a person likes, this can really be a perfect gift. If you aren’t sure, you might want to stick with a common scent like vanilla or my personal favorites any of the Yankee candle cookie scents (who doesn’t like the smell of cookies baking in the oven?).
- Kitchen utensils – This is actually a pretty common need when people move especially if they are moving into their first home. They might need anything from can openers to basic silverware. If you think that the recipient may need any utensils then this is the way to go as they are very likely to be used and appreciated (or returned to the store and replaced).
- Basic tool kit – Again, especially for people moving into their first home they could easily need a small tool set as they will likely encounter small problems that require simple repairs. If they don’t have any tools then this could be a lifesaver for them the first time something goes wrong.
- Coffee maker – We are starting to get a little bit more on the expensive side with a good coffee maker but as popular as java is right now it’s really a great gift. A lower cost alternative might be to grab a Starbucks gift card the next time you get a venti coffee.
- Gift certificate – Where would we be without gift certificates or gift cards. If all else fails then you can get a gift card to a local restaurant, coffee shop, or any other local establishment. These are simple and can be a great escape from a busy day of unpacking the house or running a laundry list of errands.
These are just some of our best ideas related to house warming gifts. As with any good gift it’s really the thought that counts. Welcoming a person into a new home is a great way to show them that you care about them and to send or deliver your best wishes for health and happiness in their new abode.