There have been millions of iPhones sold and tons of developers have cranked out some amazing applications for just about everything you can imagine. I am one of the many addicted iPhone users and all my friends and family know that well. Accordingly, I received a iTunes gift card recently and decided to get some apps to help me around the house (I was shocked by how many home utility applications there are). So I started reading through hundreds of applications and tried out several. Then I decided it would be great if I put some of that research to work into an article so here is my take on the top 10 iPhone applications for your home needs:
- Moving Van by Glimmer Design Limited allows you to easily keep track of the contents of every box right from the palm of your hand. You can use your phone to take pictures of items as you pack them, but most importantly you no longer have to guess which box you put something in, you will know right away. For those of us that have moved several times (and still store some things in boxes), this can save a bunch of time and a lot of frustration. I also want to point out that you can use this tool for cupboards, basements, garages, and storage areas as well (think of them as your permanent moving van).
- Home Interior Layout Designer by M.O.C. Interior Designer, LLC is a really cool app that will help you as you struggle with redecorating your home. You can keep track of the floor plans for each room and use their very polished tools for moving pieces of furniture around the floor plan. If you like to move things around your house to change things up, you will love this app.
- iHandy Carpenter by iHandySoft, Inc. is a great tool for amateur carpenter work and includes a great level which you can actually use for hanging pictures straight and other things. It has an accurate and surprisingly effective ruler included as well. If all you want is the level check out iHandy Level as it is a free download from iTunes.
- HomeRoutines by Wunderbear is a to do utility for household chores. It includes a built-in timer so you can keep track of how long each task takes. It utilizes the same principles that FlyLady Control Journal, Organized Home Household Notebook, and other popular household chore programs promote. With HomeRoutines though you can keep everything on your iPhone instead of on a bunch of pieces of paper.
- paintingWalls by Enginy Studios is really a cool application where you take a picture of any room in your home and then you can use their custom painting tools to paint it any color you want and then swap colors until you find one that is perfect for that room. If you want to find out more about how it works you can check out their video at http://www.paintingwalls.net.
- Home Remedies by Feather & Moor, Ltd. Is an application with over 100 home remedies. Have you ever wondered what you can eat to get rid of the hiccups? How about to help you get rid of a hangover? There are some useful bits of information in here that are worth a shot if nothing else.
- Home Inventory by Gotta Have It! Software, Inc. comes with a FREE web application. This is a great way to keep track of all of your belongings for insurance purposes and even warranty or other uses. If you know all of your serial numbers for things you might need to replace then this is not an application for you, otherwise you should probably take a look.
- HomeMeter by osXwerk.de offers something unique in that it gives you a place to track your usage of natural gas, electricity, and other utilities by allowing you to easily keep track of your meters. This is a great way to be able to verify that you are getting billed close to what you believe your consumption to be.
- Mobiscope: Home Surveillance by SHAPE Services is a must have application for those that are concerned about the security of their home or job site. You can really use this software anywhere to attach to your cameras and monitor activity wherever you go via your iPhone. It’s a little big brother-ish but great peace of mind.
- X10 Commander by Melloware is a must have type of application for a list of home iPhone apps. Why? Because it is an X10 Controller Client for the iPhone that will allow you to control all kinds of devices in your home from lights to your garage door. You have to jump to their site to see all of the possibilities http://melloware.com/products/x10commander.
I thought about putting links out to each of these applications… but we all know that you are going to have to go to iTunes and search there to eventually get these utilities anyway. So, have your iPhone handy or open up iTunes and go take a look! You won’t regret it!