Moving is an incredibly expensive life event that can be daunting if you don’t have any idea whether or not the prices that you are being quoted related to your move are reasonable. Whether you are interested in a full service moving company or you feel like you need to go with a complete do-it-yourself move, there are several things you will need to get quotes on before the big day. It is our goal to provide you with some useful online calculators to help you make informed decisions about what to get bids on and eventually help you to analyze the bids prior to choosing any of the service providers. There are a lot of great companies out there that can help make your move go smoothly, but there are also people looking to take advantage of you as you go through this difficult and chaotic process. Make sure you are as informed as you can be going into the process by checking out some of tools listed below.
Moving Company Calculators
This is the most common move related expense that people like to estimate and take bids on. Of course, we believe that you should get multiple moving quotes as the prices can vary wildly. You should go into the experience with a good ballpark estimate and you can get one using one of the following calculators:
- House Moving Relocation Calculator – This is a really simple to use calculator that doesn’t ask very many questions at all but it will give you a quick estimate as to what to expect in total moving costs. You do need to keep in mind that it is only intended to be a ballpark estimate and will not include moving any unusual items (boats, vehicles, etc.).
- Weight and Volume Calculator – This is pretty detailed and the main objective of the calculator is to help you know how big of a truck you are going to need to move your belongings.
- Moving Calculator – It’s always good to try out multiple calculators and this is another fairly detailed one to give you an estimate that feels more complete.
- Moving Estimate – This is a lead form disguised cleverly as a calculator, but is useful none-the-less. Since you are providing email and phone number, expect calls when you fill this one out.
Cost of Living Calculators
It’s also very good to consider the cost of living in your current city versus where you are planning to move. This varies a lot by region but should be considered regardless of the distance you are moving (if you are moving to a new city).
- CNN Money – This is a really quick cost of living calculator provided by the kind folks at CNN. They offer a lot of other services and articles that may also be applicable to your move.
- Cost of Living Comaprison – This is a super easy and very informative cost of living calculator. It gives you a lot of useful information on the destination city as well.
- PayScale – This is a great site in general for salary information, but it also includes a great cost of living calculator that is quick and informative.
- Cost of Living Report – You can use your salary and the new/old zipcodes to create a cost of living report to print and review
- Cost of Living Wizard – This is another great tool that you can use to validate some of the other calculations. It’s important to check multiple calculators for consistency before taking any decisions.
Other Moving-Related Calculators
There are other useful calculators that you may want to take a look at associated with a move (box calculators, fuel calculators, and more). Here are a few of the best:
- Rent Versus Buy Calculator – If you want to get an idea as to whether you should rent or buy regardless as to whether or not you are moving, this is a handy calculator.
- Insurance Coverage Calculator – If you aren’t sure how much insurance you need to get for your home, this will help you figure out what you should have for total liability coverage and deductibles. You can then take that information and call your insurance company to get a quote.
- Home Affordability – If you are curious as to how much home you can afford then this calculator will help to give you a starting point.
- Home Value Estimator – Now that you have a great home, what is the future value of your home going to be? Find out by using this caluclator.
- Packing Calculator – This one is really great! You can get an idea as to how many boxes you are going to need to move. Love it!
- Another Box Calculator – For one reason or another box calculators seem to be addictive. It’s very interesting to see how many boxes the different sites think you need to pack up your stuff.
- Rental Truck Fuel Calculator – This is really handy if you are driving your own rental truck as you can figure out how much fuel you will need and the amount of money you need to budget for gas.
- Loan Qualification Calculator – If you need to get a loan to purchase a home then this calculator is for you, but if you are moving chances are slim this one is going to help you immediately.
- Another Box Calculator – This is actually more of a box sales page than a true calculator, but you can use it that way (just don’t buy the package unless you like it).
- Truck Size Advisor – This is a multi-form calculator that will help you determine the size of truck you need and coming from a site called MoveIdiot, you gotta love that!