Looking for a reason to skip out on a family reunion? Do you ever wonder how other people get out of attending one? Listed below are ten common excuses people use to get out of attending a family reunion.
- Someone died. This is a popular one; just make sure that the funeral that you are claiming to have to attend is not one of a relative’s. Better yet make it someone from out of town and then actually leave town so you don’t get busted.
- I’m sick. Although this one can be useful, make sure that you only use it if you know no one from said reunion will try to come over to take care of you.
- Someone else is sick. If you use this excuse you have to be careful that you don’t have a parent or other close relative that is attending the reunion who will offer to relieve you from your nursing duties, so that you can attend the reunion.
- I already have plans. Make sure that you really do have plans and are not home in case you get busted by someone driving by. Or make plans for that specific day so that it is the truth.
- I have to work. Again, this is another one where you want to make sure that you do not get busted by being somewhere other than at work. It could be quite awkward running into someone who is running an errand for the reunion when you are running from it.
- We have a family emergency. Be prepared for a more detailed answer than this. More than likely you will be questioned on what the emergency is and if there is anything they can do to help.
- I forgot the date/time. This one can only be used after the fact and only if no one talked to you about the reunion recently to remind you of it.
- I can’t find a babysitter. You may want to save this one until after the reunion as an excuse as to why you didn’t show up and not an excuse beforehand as again someone may volunteer to help or tell you that you can just bring the kids.
- I have tickets to… Do your research for this one and make it a believable one. Saying you have tickets to a concert that isn’t playing is not a wise idea.
- I can’t afford to travel right now. With the way the economy is going right now, this is a very believable excuse, as long as no one offers to pay for your trip.
If you are worried that you will get busted with an excuse used prior to the reunion ,you could just skip the reunion and use the excuse after the fact, if someone asks why you didn’t come. Remember, family reunions can be a great time to get together and reconnect. However, there are some circumstances where you may be uncomfortable attending. If none of the above excuses works for you, try the truth. You never know, the person you are telling may not want to be there either.